CGC Distinguised Speaker Series:
Marek Grabowski, the Director of Audit Policy for the United Kingdom’s Financial Reporting Council in London, will be speaking on Friday, March 14, 2014 from 12:30-2 p.m. in the Haslam Building, room 402.
Mary Schapiro, the immediate past Chairman of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and the current Managing Director and Chairman of the Governance and Markets Practice for Promontory, will be speaking on Friday, April 11, 2014 from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in the Haslam Building, room 402.CGC Distinguished Speaker Series sponsored by
Martin Gruenberg, Chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), February 28, 2014.
Dan Goelzer, a partner in Washington DC with Baker & McKenzie who previously served as a founding board member of the PCAOB and as the General Counsel of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, February 7, 2014.
Craig M. Lewis, Chief Economist of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, November 15, 2013.
TK Kerstetter, Chairman of NYSE Governance Services–Corporate Board Member, participated in a conversation on corporate governance hosted by Mary Ann Cloyd, PwC Partner and Leader– Center for Board Governance, November 1, 2013.
Timothy F. Ryan, PwC Vice Chairman and Assurance Practice Leader, October 25, 2013.
Michael A. Brizel, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer of Saks, Inc., April 19, 2013.
Amy Borrus, Deputy Director of the Council of Institutional Investors, March 15, 2013.
James M. Gower, CEO and Chairman of the Board, of Rigel Pharmaceuticals (San Francisco, CA), March 8, 2013.
Senator Bob Corker discussed our country's #1 economic and national security issue: Getting Our Fiscal House in Order, February 22, 2013.
Arnold Havens, Washington, D.C. attorney with Jones Walker and the former General Counsel of the U.S. Treasury Department, February 8, 2013.
The following CGC Distinguised Speaker Series were sponsored by Ruby Tuesday:
- Steven E. Buller, Managing Director, BlackRock, Inc., presented Corporate Governance from a Fiduciary’s Perspective, November 9, 2012.
- Lynn E. Turner, former SEC chief accountant, November 2, 2012.
- Jeanette M. Franzel, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), presented Current Trends and Issues in Public Company Auditing, October 26, 2012.
- Frank B. Glassner, partner with Meridian Compensation Partners, LLC (Meridian), September 11, 2012
- James H. Cheek, III, Senior Member of the law firm of Bass, Berry & Sims PLC, presented The Changing Dynamics of Board-Shareholder Relationships, March 20, 2012.
- James R. Doty, Chairman of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), presented The Relevance, Reliability, and Role of Audits in a Global Economy, March 16, 2012.
- Gretchen Morgenson, Assistant Business & Financial Editor and columnist, The New York Times, March 9, 2012.
- Joseph W. St. Denis, Director of the PCAOB’s Office of Risk and Analysis, presented Emerging Risks in the Current Environment, February 3, 2012
- John F. Olson, Senior Partner with Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, presented Do Board Independence and Board Diversity Result in Better Corporate Performance: The Evidence Isnít Clear, November 4, 2011.
- SEC Commissioner Troy Paredes, October 7, 2011.
- SEC Commissioner Luis Aguilar presented Informed Decisions Require Meaningful Information, September 23, 2011.
- Robert J. (Bob) Kueppers, Deputy CEO—Regulatory and Public Policy and Vice Chairman, Deloitte LLP, presented The Evolving Regulatory Landscape: Impacts on the Accounting Profession and on Corporate Governance, April 8, 2011.
- Jay Seliber, Assurance Partner and Partner in the National Accounting Consulting Services Group for PwC, presented The Future New Landscape of Revenue Recognition–Impact of the Joint FASB/IASB Project, April 1, 2011.
- J. Page Davidson, Partner, Bass, Berry & Sims PLC, March 25, 2011.
- Robert Hodgkinson, Executive Director, Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW), presented ICAEW Audit Firm Governance Code, International Audit Quality Consistency, and Lessons from the Financial Crisis from the Perspective of the European Union, February 25, 2011.
- Sandy Beall, Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Ruby Tuesday, James A. Haslam, III, Pilot Flying J CEO, and C. Warren Neel, Executive Director, UT Corporate Governance Center. Mr. Haslam discussed governance for private companies; Dr. Neel discussed governance for public companies.
- Charles D. Niemeier, Board Member, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), presented "A Profession at a Crossroads: Choosing the Right Path," November 12, 2010.
- The Honorable Jon T. Rymer, Inspector General, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), October 15, 2010.
- Scott Mitchell, Chairman and CEO of the Open Compliance and Ethics Group, "Lean Corporate Governance: Eliminating Bloated Programs and Wasteful Spending, September 10, 2010."
Ross Booher, attorney with Bass, Berry & Sims presented The FCPA Effect: What Escalating Enforcement of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Means for Companies & Individuals Involved in International Business, April 16, 2010.
Gary R. Kabureck, Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer of Xerox, March 19, 2010.
A Discussion on Financial Regulatory Reform with Senator Bob Corker, member of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee, February 15, 2010.
Martin J. Gruenberg, Vice Chairman of the FDIC, presented "Lessons from the Financial Crisis," October 30, 2009.
Stephen P. Lamb, Vice Chancellor of the Delaware Court of Chancery, presented "Federalism, Not Federalization, in Corporate Law," October 23, 2009.
Wilma Jordan, Founder and CEO of The Jordan, Edmiston Group, Inc., October 12, 2009.
Robert J. Kueppers, Deputy CEO of Deloitte LLP, presented "Public Company Auditing: Implications of the Current Environment," September 4, 2009.
Richard Fleck, Partner, Herbert Smith, London. Richard also is a member of the Financial Reporting Council and is the Chairman of the Auditing Practices Board. He was closely involved in the development and drafting of the Smith Report on Audit Committees (now part of the Combined Code). April 24, 2009.
Stephen I. Sadove, Chairman and CEO of Saks Inc., presented Corporate Governance: A CEO Perspective, April 15, 2009.
D. Scott Lee, Mays Research Fellow and Private Enterprise Research Center Fellow from Texas A&M University, February 27, 2009.
Harvey J. Goldschmid, Dwight Professor of Law, Columbia University School of Law, "Corporate Governance Reforms in the United States," November 14, 2008.
Randy G. Fletchall, Americas Vice Chair of Professional Practice and Risk Management for Ernst and Young and chairman of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for 2007-08, October 24, 2008.
Professor Marco Ventoruzzo, vice director, Paolo Baffi Center on Financial Regulation, Bocconi University, Italy, presented "European Corporate Governance and the EU Takeover Directive," September 12, 2008.
Catherine L. Bromilow: partner;PricewaterhouseCoopers and Corporate Governance Practice Leader; April 9, 2008.
James D. Cox: Brainerd Currie Professor of Law; Duke University School of Law; April 4, 2008.
Justice Randy J. Holland: Delaware Supreme Court; March 7, 2008.
John F. Olson: senior partner; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP; February 1, 2008.
Steven L. Schwarcz: Stanley A. Star Professor of Law and Business; Duke University School of Law; January 23, 2008
Mark Olson: chairman, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board; October 26, 2007.
Charles Niemeier: board member, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, April 25, 2007
Geoffrey Colvin: FORTUNE magazine; January 26, 2007.
Larry Cunningham: College of Law; Boston College; September 25, 2006.
David Yermack: Stern School of Business; New York University; September 8, 2006.
Bill Gradison: board member; Public Company Accounting Oversight Board; April 10, 2006
Anil Shivdasani: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; March 3, 2006.
Stu Gillan: Arizona State University; February 3, 2006.
Andrew Kaizer: senior partner; Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Door; November 14, 2005.
Dan Goelzer: board member, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, fall 2004.
Greg Scates: associate chief auditor, Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, fall 2004.
Robert Grey: partner, Hunton & Williams; and President, American Bar Association, spring 2004.
John Latham: partner, Alston & Bird, fall 2003.
John Ballantine: board member, Enron (post-bankruptcy), fall 2003.
James Cheek: partner, Bass, Berry & Sims, fall 2003.